-
December 14th, 2004, 12:36 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I would like to view/download a super 8 film
that was shot on a good camera, and not made to look grainy ( as some use the format for grainy special effects ).
I use to experiment way back in Super 8 and a litte in 16mm. I had cheapo cameras
and the super 8 always had jitter, 16 mm stock can run up th bucks. I would like to achieve near cinema quality (within reason)
Am I only dreaming?
-
December 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM
#2
Inactive Member
There is a film festival called "Flicker" which features alot of super8 work. I'm sure you've probaly heard of it. The website (http://www.flickerla.com) has a link to view super8 films from all of the flicker festivals throughout the country. I just tried it and the link doesn't seem to be working right now.(it did last week) You would view the movies in realplayer or quicktime formats. Try that site anyway....by the time you read this it may be back up.
************************************************** *
Wow you sound like me....I also have the same dream, but I am still using super8. You're right, it is jittery but I think alot of it depends on the projector used during transferring (some are better than others) and you know it seems like the more color correcting the lab has to do, the more jittery it becomes.
Plus you know, super8 is just 8mm film with one side of sprockets holes missing, I'm sure that has something to do with it too.
I think it's cool that you've shot 16mm. After watching some 50 year old reels of 16mm that my grandfathers uncle took back in the 50's I was simply AMAZED at the quality even after the film had been sitting all that time.
I feel that the objective is simple. I just want to make movies, and if they look as good as some of the B-movies from the 50's or 60's then that's fine with me.
You may feel differently. I just thought that 16mm was so cool I had to get one so I bought a Bell & Howell film9 windup camera from that same era at a camera show. Afterwords, I realized that the film & developing cost exactly twice as much as Super8. I have no idea how I'm going to load that film or use that wierd viewfinder on the side that looks like a crystal ball. AND there are 3 lenses, the whole lense assembly rotates like some bizarre telescope from the 1800's. Any idea how that works? The viewfinder that you normally would use to line up your shot is simply a metal tube that has a dial on the side- each time you rotate the dial, a different shape peice of metal with a square cut out in the middle of it is placed in front of your line of sight, as if to simulate what that certain size lense would look like on film. Of course I can't find the manual online. I'd appreciate any info you had on the subject. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
December 14th, 2004, 12:20 PM
#3
Inactive Member
There is a film festival called "Flicker" which features alot of super8 work. I'm sure you've probaly heard of it. The website (http://www.flickerla.com) has a link to view super8 films from all of the flicker festivals throughout the country. I just tried it and the link doesn't seem to be working right now.(it did last week) You would view the movies in realplayer or quicktime formats. Try that site anyway....by the time you read this it may be back up.
************************************************** *
Wow you sound like me....I also have the same dream, but I am still using super8. You're right, it is jittery but I think alot of it depends on the projector used during transferring (some are better than others) and you know it seems like the more color correcting the lab has to do, the more jittery it becomes.
Plus you know, super8 is just 8mm film with one side of sprockets holes missing, I'm sure that has something to do with it too.
I think it's cool that you've shot 16mm. After watching some 50 year old reels of 16mm that my grandfathers uncle took back in the 50's I was simply AMAZED at the quality even after the film had been sitting all that time.
I feel that the objective is simple. I just want to make movies, bringing my stories to life...and if they look as good as some of the B-movies from the 50's or 60's then that's fine with me.
You may feel differently. Anyway, I thought that 16mm was so cool that I just a camera so I bought a Bell & Howell film9 windup camera from that same era at a camera show. Afterwords, I realized that the film & developing cost exactly twice as much as Super8. I have no idea how I'm going to load that film or use that wierd viewfinder on the side that looks like a crystal ball. AND there are 3 lenses, the whole lense assembly rotates like some bizarre telescope from the 1800's. Any idea how that works? The viewfinder that you normally would use to line up your shot is simply a metal tube that has a dial on the side- each time you rotate the dial, a different shape peice of metal with a square cut out in the middle of it is placed in front of your line of sight, as if to simulate what that certain size lense would look like on film. Of course I can't find the manual online. I'd appreciate any info you had on the subject. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks